I manage my movies and shows using IMDB and Evernote, and its worked out brilliantly…..But managing music is something that i’ve always struggled with ….
First I started with downloading everything locally and managing it with iTunes and such…
Then i realized that i have some excellent music videos too that i want to my collection, but sadly most extensions are not supported by iTunes…
Also, i want the collection to be accessible everywhere including mobile, so it cannot be downloaded stuff…
During a long period i also believed that listening to music more than once was a waste of time, until i realised that music is best felt when listened to again….
Hence i turned to online free options like Grooveshark and Saavn and Gaana and such options, but while the 1st is for eng music, last 2 are for hindi….and the collection is not comprehensive…and there is nothing worse than having listened to a song and then not finding it in your music manager….
Also, i cannot bear the idea of using 2 different apps for eng and hindi music….
I also realised that at times i want to watch the music video, and not just listen to the song….which is not offered by any of the above..
So then the only option left with exhaustive collection and music video offering is YouTube…
So then i started using it in simple way, having 1 playlist for eng music and another for hindi….
But immediately i found the following issues that are a deal breaker:
1. You cannot search for videos in a playlist, so i won’t be able to find if the song i want to add is already present, hence creating duplicates
2. Youtube keeps changing the max size of playlist….earlier it was 200, now thought i tried adding 1500 songs from watched history to a new playlist and was able to…
3. There is no way to sort music, filter etc. anything by artist or song or anything for that matter….
still trying my best to get stuff working with youtube
This one is Crap…
This one is Gold….i was easily able to download all data about my playlist with 1500 videos and opened it with excel for better view…
For now i can use this to search for stuff….
Moving on, i found http://mashable.com/2009/02/13/youtube-toolbox/ with some great tools. Checked out a few, but its all crappy…
Also thought of adding every video to evernote as well so as to be able to search and filter easily…not sure how much of a pain it’ll be, but seems like a good idea….
I’ve found that though there is no way to search for my paylists or for a video in playlist view, youtube search is generic and so if i say “Tarun Khemani <song>” it is easily able to search for the playlist where i have that song, and if at times its not, it’ll definitely be able to do it if i say: “Tarun Khemani <playlist> <song>”…
So the way i have decided to do this for now is to create a new playlist for every hindi movie and for english, i’ll create a playlist for every artist….
For english it’ll be easy as vevo is there for most artists..but for hindi its not like that…
in either case i’ve subscribed in my feedly to all channels that i’d like to follow and will use that to discover new stuff
OK SO HERE IS WHERE YOU SEARCH PLAYLISTS: https://www.youtube.com/view_all_playlists (youtube creater’s studio)
ADDING VIDEOS TO PLAYLISTS:
Following the above recommendation to create a new playlist for every movie, i have over 300 playlists now and so to add a new song to library, 1st i need to figure out if that movie is a Playlist, and if yes, is that song already there in the playlist. Follow:
1. Click on Add To in the video page
2. This opens a widget with all playlists in the Dom
3 . Simply Search for the movie using Ctrl + F (Shift F3 for last)
4. If the playlist is there it’ll show up in search results
5. If it does, then go to https://www.youtube.com/view_all_playlists and view the playlist to see if it has that song
6. If not, go back to the song page and add it ..
BULK ADD TO PLAYLIST
1. Watch All Videos and then go to https://www.youtube.com/feed/history and select all and add to any playlist
2. Mark Videos as liked and then go to https://www.youtube.com/my_liked_videos and add to any playlist
Find the official channel of artist (vevo), go to videos tab and sort by View Count
SUBSCRIBE TO CHANNELS
Best way is to subscribe in a feed reader like feedly, so that u can keep track of any new videos